Computers perform functions by processing algorithms. You can create algorithms for computers to follow that other people can then use in the future without having to repeat the creation process. For example: When your computer prints something, there are many massive algorithms it uses to figure out which type of printer you have, how to communicate the document to the printer in such a way it understands, etc., all done behind the scenes for you so that all you need to do is click “print.” These algorithms were written by others to get the computer and printer to comply with your wishes.
An example of an algorithm could be a simple recipe, such as:
1. Crack three eggs and pour their contents into a small bowl – attempt to avoid getting eggshell in the bowl.
2. In the case of eggshells, remove any eggshell from the bowl.
3. Beat the 3 eggs for 30 seconds in the small bowl until they are well mixed.
4. Put a small frying pan on the stove and turn the burner on to medium temperature.
5. Pour the eggs in the small frying pan and cook until very little to no wetness remains.
6. Serve the eggs.